The Future City Competition is a national competition in the United States that focuses on improving student's math, engineering, and science skills. It contains two levels: individual state and regional competitions and the National Finals for the winners of these previous contests. The goal is to design a futuristic city and discussing its important elements of a city: urban planning, zoning, transportation, energy, economy, environment, and education. Team members represent their ideas and proposals in several ways:
• Essay about the yearly theme, (for example, the theme of the 2012-2013 competition is to "Rethink Runoff - Design Clean Solutions to Manage Stormwater Pollution.
• Abstract discussing their city's services and ideas.
• Model to show a physical representation of one section of their city.
• Computer Design using Sim City software.
• Presentation to describe their city to the judges on the day of the competition.
Check out Future City's website.